SISTERS OF THE THIRD ORDER OF THE MOST HOLY TRINITY
IN 1762, MOTHER TERESA Cucchiari founded the Sisters of the Most Holy Trinity in Rome. In 1920, Trinitarian Father Isadore Jenne invited Mother M. Teresa and three other sisters to staff St. Ann School in Bristol Pennsylvania. In July 1927, Father Sante Gattuso O.D.M., Pastor of St. Rocco Parish on Fulton Road in Cleveland, Ohio became aware of the Italian Trinitarian Sisters in Bristol. He recruited the Sisters to work at St. Rocco.
Mother Teresa (Superior), Sister M. Catherine and Sister Mary arrived in Cleveland on August 28, 1927 and opened their school on September 11. The Sisters added a new grade each year until there were eight grades. The Sisters had no permanent convent for two years; they slept in one room of the school and cooked in the basement.
In November, the Sisters began their Postulate with one candidate. In 1929, they awaited permission from the Bishop and Mother General to begin the Novitiate. During these two years, the work progressed, and the children were prepared to receive the Sacraments. The Sisters also worked with the public school children to prepare them to receive the Sacraments. In 1930, ten years after the Sisters arrived in America, Reverend Mother General visited and was very pleased with the Sisters' work and sacrifices.
By September 1932, there were sixteen Sisters and the convent was too small. The Sisters transferred the Novitiate to another house on Mapleside Road. The new Novitiate House was named St. John deMatha, Founder of the Trinitarian Order. Sister Pauline was sent from Bristol to be the first Superior. Two months later, Mother Veronica was appointed Mistress of Novices.
In 1933, St. Rocco School had all eight grades; the first group of students graduated in 1934. As the years progressed. St. Rocco Parish erected a beautiful new school and convent buildings. The Sisters continue to staff St. Rocco school.
In September 1944, Father Francis Cacciacaro recruited the Trinitarian Sisters to staff the St. Marian School, located off Edgehill Road on the East side of Cleveland. Sister M. Rita, Sister M. Alexander, Sister M. Mercedes and Sister M. Alberta commuted daily from Villa St. John deMatha convent until the St. Marian convent opened July 16, 1954. The Sisters withdrew from this parish in 1966.
From 1927 to 1949, Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish on Detroit Avenue was considered a Mission. Sister Mary and Sister Rosaria commuted by streetcar from St. Rocco Parish to teach catechism to the Mount Carmel children who attended public schools. At this time, they also organized the Societies of St. Agnes and the Children of Mary. In 1949, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish school was opened with the first and second grades. Sister Valentine was the principal and taught the second grade, while Sister Mercedes taught the first grade. They continued to commute from St. Rocco's until the new convent was ready in 1950. In 1957, there were all eight grades. As the years progressed, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel built a new school and convent.
In 1926, Bishop Joseph Schrembs dedicated what he called the "National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes" in Euclid on the property of the Good Shepherd Sisters. In the Fall of 1952, administration of the Shrine passed to the Sisters of the Most Holy Trinity. The Trinitarian Sisters began modernizing some existing buildings, and tearing down and replacing the irremediable buildings, such as the convent, chapel, and dining room. In 1953, the Community transferred Villa St. John de Matha Novitiate House to the Shrine, 9 which became the Provincial House for the Trinitarian Sisters in the United States. Each year, thousands of people come to the Shrine to honor Our Lady and to place their petitions before her.
In the spirit of their Foundress, the Sisters of the Most Holy Trinity, vivified by the Trinity and prompted by redemptive charity carry out their primary end, the glorification of the Most Holy Trinity, through their specific apostolate of assisting children, and educating young people, above all, the poor and the needy.